Thursday, January 24, 2019

Walt Disney World Marathon -- Finishing Dopey!

Sunday was the big day of the Dopey Challenge -- the Walt Disney World Marathon.  It's a journey through all 4 of the theme parks plus the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.  The day started like all the other days with a very early morning. 

It always strikes me a little ironic that on the last morning of the Dopey Challenge runners have only completed 22.4 of the 48.6 miles -- not even half.  You don't even reach the halfway point until you start the marathon.

This was the warmest morning of them all with temperatures in the upper 50's.  What I didn't enjoy was that the humidity throughout the race was 90+% (that's Florida).  Once I started sweating it just got worse from there.  I was already soaked by the halfway point and towards the end I was just ready to be done.
Ready for the longest race of the weekend
The race itself went well.  I was able to take my GU after miles 7 and 14 and I sipped on water from the regular aid stations.  I didn't feel like my stomach wanted my final GU at mile 20 which probably slowed me down a little in the end.  Regardless, I still finished faster than this year's Chicago Marathon time and so it was a better Boston Qualifying time for me for 2020.

I knew with the humidity that it was going to be a little rough, so I was determined to have as much fun as I could.  Last year I think I stopped 18 times for pictures.  I lost count this year, but I know I stopped at least 16 times.  After starting outside Epcot, the first park we got to was Magic Kingdom.
Had to stop for Gamora!

The Evil Queen and Dr. Facilier

I like this one with Woody and Jesse 

Still feeling strong at the castle!
The first part of the marathon course is essentially the same as the half marathon.  It splits a little while after leaving the Magic Kingdom when you head to Animal Kingdom instead of back to Epcot.
Still smiling for the camera in Animal Kingdom!
You cross the halfway point in Animal Kingdom.  From there, I start counting down the miles to the finish.  After leaving Animal Kingdom around mile 14, you finally reach ESPN around mile 17.5.  You spend 3 miles running around ESPN, including running around the track and running around the field in the baseball stadium.  It's a long stretch, but there are always lots of characters here.

Pluto was just before ESPN
Goofy is always on the track
Once I left ESPN, I knew it's less than a 10K to go until the end.  They gave out cold, wet sponges in ESPN which felt wonderful considering how sweaty and gross I was.  You enter Hollywood Studios for a run up Sunset Boulevard and out the front before making your way along the path to the Boardwalk resorts.  I ran this path so many times in the past couple years, I knew exactly what to expect.  When I entered the World Showcase of Epcot around mile 25, I knew it was almost over.  I honestly didn't care how fast or slow I went at that point -- I wanted to just keep running to the end.
Snow White in Germany -- less than a mile left
And then it was the last stretch.  I passed by the Epcot globe and then the big gospel choir singing  just before the final turns.  When I saw that finish line, there are no words to describe the feeling.
High fives from Chip and Dale!

Officially a Dopey Finisher (again)!
It is an overwhelming, emotional moment crossing the finish line of a marathon.  Completing the Dopey Challenge only heightens those emotions.  I think it's the lack of sleep and all the running over the four days and knowing you stepped up and met the challenge -- it's absolutely amazing.  I got teary getting my medals and I needed a minute to get myself together for my finisher photo.
I DID IT!

Celebrating with Mickey...

...and of course with Dopey!
Showing off the medals!
I wasn't sure I would do Dopey again after this year -- and then I came and did it and remembered all the reasons I love it and runDisney.  Once I got home, I recapped the whole experience of running Dopey for a second time for Chicago Athlete.  You can read my article here.  I have to say that I think it is one of my best articles to date -- probably because the whole experience resonates on such an emotional level with me.  So am I thinking about how to fit Dopey 2020 into my plans?  Of course!

1 comment: