Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Stitches are out and my first week of injections

This morning, I had my 2 week follow up (technically it's been 12 days) with my surgeon's physician assistant to remove my stitches and take some X-rays.  The stitches have really been itching me the last several days.  The itching wakes me up in the middle of the night and prevents me from getting comfortable.  I was so relieved when he cut them out today.  The wound looks good, and once the stitches were out the itching went away.  I'm hoping I sleep better tonight. 

The X-rays look good so far.  At this point it is still to early to see any real healing from the stress fracture, but the pins are in the right spot.  It's weird for me to see the images of pins now in both of my hips.  But once this heals, both hips should be strong and I won't worry about this type of fracture again.

Today was also the end of my first week of injections with Forteo.  When I had the stress fracture and surgery last January, I requested a DEXA scan which led to a diagnosis of osteoporosis.  Working with my doctor, we never could find a cause for it, and so I started taking Fosamax (which prevents bone resorption).  I took it for almost 18 months, but after this injury, my doctors switched me to Forteo, an anabolic bone builder.  Instead of taking a pill once a week like Fosamax, I give myself daily injections.  The injections actually haven't been as bad as I envisioned.  The needles are very small and you really don't even feel it.  I'm hoping it will make a difference in my body and really build up my bones.

The drug company that makes this medication offers a lot of support to those taking it.  I had a training with a nurse educator last week, and today I received a starter kit in the mail.  It turned out to be a very nice Vera Bradley bag to store the medication in.  I guess when your insurance company is paying $3500 for a one month supply -- and you will be taking the drug for two years -- then the drug company can go out of its way to keep their customers happy.
A nice gift from Forteo

2 comments:

  1. That's quite the bag! So glad you've got your stitches out! How was the first night without them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so much better without the stitches. I've been sleeping better again and the incision gets less sore every day.

    ReplyDelete