Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Walt Disney World Half Marathon

I have been slow getting these posts up for the half and full marathons.  After I finished, I was exhausted and just wanted to celebrate my accomplishment.  Now that a little time has passed and I've recovered, I'm ready to write about them.

Saturday of marathon weekend brought yet another early morning.  This time, they wanted all runners on the bus by 3:30 in order to make the longer walk to the starting corrals.  I was at the staging area before they even opened the corrals, so I think it was more than enough time.
Starting line of the Half Marathon
There are aspects of the half marathon course that I do enjoy.  You start outside Epcot and run up to Magic Kingdom.  The road is usually dark and it is quiet with just the sound of other runners and your own breathing and the occasional monorail passing by on the side.  You pass through the Ticket and Transportation Center where there are usually people cheering runners on.  From there you run by the Contemporary before entering Magic Kingdom around mile 5.  I love those first moments entering Magic Kingdom.  There are cheering spectators all along Main Street.  Disney leaves the Christmas decorations up in the parks until just after the marathon, so as you turn onto Main Street you are greeted by the sight of the castle all lit up in icicle lights and the sound of loud cheers from supporters and cast members.  It's a wonderful moment and I savor it every time I do it.

I stopped numerous times for pictures during the race.  There are usually a couple character stops on the road outside the parking lots and then numerous characters inside the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
The Evil Queen was outside the Magic Kingdom
Anastasia, Drizella and Lady Tremaine outside the castle
The temperature was around 50 - perfect for running a half marathon.  I wasn't too cold before the race and I was comfortable during it.  I was determined to have fun and enjoy myself during the race, and I certainly did.  Even with all my picture stops, I still ended up running my second fastest half marathon ever -- not too shabby!  After running about a mile through the Magic Kingdom, you make your way back down to Epcot to run through there and on to the finish.
Finishing strong in Epcot -- it looks like I'm running on air!
After collecting my medal at the finish, I made sure to get my requisite pictures with the characters before heading back to the resort for some well deserved sleep.  3 races done, just the marathon to go!
Donald is always on the Half Marathon medal and is the star of this race

1 comment: