Sunday, September 9, 2018

First outside run!

I'm back -- sort of.  And not officially.  And not completely...

Last Saturday when we were getting ready to leave Las Vegas I decided it was a good day to start running again.  Technically the doctor wanted me to wait until I see him again on Tuesday the 11th.  But I feel good and I know I am farther along now than I was at this point in my recovery last year.  So I did some run/walk on the treadmill that morning.  And then I did run/walk again on the treadmill last Monday.  Then I ran for 30 minutes straight on the treadmill last Wednesday.  On Friday, I ran for 45 minutes continuously on the treadmill.  I took a day off from running in between each session to make sure everything was ok.  So far it has been. 

Today I decided to try running outside.  It's just so much more enjoyable than the treadmill and it was a perfect day in Chicago to run.  It was sunny with temperatures in the low 60's and a nice breeze.  I enjoyed every minute.  This was the first real outside run since I was running around the Beach Club at Disney World back in June.  The day after I got back from there was when the fracture happened.

I am aware of my hip when running, but not in a painful way.  It's just different, and I know from experience that it will take some time to feel completely normal again.  I am also obviously slower than I was before all this happened, but I believe in muscle memory and I know my speed will also come back in time.  All in all, I ran for an hour today and got in over 8 miles -- not too shabby for someone who had hip surgery 11 weeks ago.

I am optimistic about what the surgeon will say on Tuesday.  My plan is still to complete the Chicago Marathon -- which is just 4 weeks from today.  I have no intention of pushing for a PR; I know it's not in the cards this year.  But I am confident that in the next 4 weeks I can continue to carefully build up enough to complete it in a respectful time without wrecking my body.  I have some ideas how I will accomplish that over the coming weeks, but we will see what happens on Tuesday.
Happy after a successful run! 
Not my fastest but not too shabby


1 comment: