Tuesday, September 11, 2018

All clear to return to running!

I had my 12 week follow up with the orthopedic surgeon this morning.  He took some X-rays of my hip and declared that the bone was completely healed.  He gave me the official ok to resume all of my activities without restriction, including running.  I told him I had recently started running again and he was fine with that.  I also told him I intended to complete the marathon in less than a month.  He wished me luck and urged me to just listen to my body.  He said he was around if I ever needed anything.  I guess I couldn't have asked for a better outcome than that.

I had my PT session for the week this afternoon.  We decided to cut the sessions down to once a week and will probably be stopping completely very soon.  My therapist has to really look for activities to challenge me.  The blood flow restriction therapy is not fun, but I guess all these weeks of it have helped.

I went for a run outside after PT.  My legs felt heavy after therapy and I felt like I was slower than when I ran on Sunday.  I was shocked when I saw that I was slightly faster, although I continue to slow down a little with each mile.  My hip has been a little sore from resuming running, but I know that this is normal and will pass with time. 

I now have 26 days to do what preparation I can in order to complete the marathon as painlessly as possible.  I already know this will not be a command performance or anything close to a PR, and if this were my first marathon I would probably rethink my plan.  But I really want to just finish having enjoyed the experience.  Considering where I was just a few months ago, I didn't think it would be a reality -- although I never stopped hoping.  I'm certainly hoping my hip continues to improve and running becomes more natural and effortless again.  With almost a month to go, I think I will see a big change by race day.
Hip is all healed -- the mouse is resting near the area where the fracture was

Another 8 miles in the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment