Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Boston Marathon certificate

I came home from Mexico to find my Boston Marathon finishers certificate waiting for me in the mail.  I wasn't expecting it, so it was a nice surprise when I opened it Sunday afternoon.  It's hard to believe Boston was only a little over three months ago.  So much has happened even since then.  The certificate was a great reminder for me why I put myself through this -- why I enjoy running so many miles even though injuries can happen.  Boston was an epic experience, and I love the sport and all that I have accomplished so far.  Crossing the finish line of a marathon is a feeling like no other.  I know that there are many more big things in my future...
My finishers certificate -- I love the message on the bottom
The Racers Record Book accompanied the certificate -- a magazine recapping the race weekend and listing all the finishers.  I was pleasantly surprised to see my name listed on the Male Masters Teams.  Apparently I was first on my racing team (Fleet Feet Racing -- number 70 on the list).
Male Masters Teams
This past weekend was the Rock n Roll Chicago Half Marathon weekend.  Before the injury, I had planned to run this race and was a little bummed seeing the pictures of people out there Sunday morning (the fact that it was raining did make me feel a little better that I missed it).  However, I got the PR and NYC qualifying time that I wanted at the Chicago Spring Half back in May.  Ultimately, this was one race and there will be many more -- especially living in Chicago. 

I still don't know what my next race will be or even when I will start to run again.  I go back to the surgeon next Tuesday and will hopefully take the next step in my recovery -- just getting off crutches.  This recovery has been very different than my last one, so I'll be interested to hear how he thinks I am healing and what his timeline for me is. 

2 comments:

  1. J, you are such an inspiration. your dedication is incredible and inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete