Tuesday, June 19, 2018

MRI

When I went out for what was supposed to be an 11 mile long run Saturday morning, I had to stop after 3 miles.  I ran 9-10 miles every morning in Disney, so it wasn't that it was too hot or I couldn't do it.  Even though we were going a relatively slow pace, something felt off to me in my hip.  I tried stretching it a little but as soon as I started running again I knew the run wasn't going to happen.  I limped all the way back home and started a weekend of doctor appointments.

I saw a regular urgent care doctor on Saturday who thought I had just pulled a muscle, ligament or tendon.  I went to an orthopedic urgent care on Sunday for another opinion.  The doctor there didn't see anything on the X-ray but ordered an MRI given my history of stress fractures and osteoporosis. 

After the doctor's office got the insurance approval yesterday, I went for the MRI today.  The experience was much more tolerable than the last MRI I had.  The machine was larger and my head was partially out so I didn't feel as claustrophobic.  The headphones played Pandora music and the technician continuously checked on me and let me know how much time was left.

Sadly, they called me with the results late this afternoon and said the words I was praying I wouldn't hear -- stress fracture.  So now begins another journey.  I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning to go over the results and discuss my options.  It seems like surgery may be imminent but I shall see what he says.
A better MRI experience today

2 comments: