Thursday, June 21, 2018

Femoral neck stress fracture surgery

Today I had surgery to fix the femoral neck stress fracture in my left hip.  The experience with this hip has been very different than last year's surgery.  I have felt much more in control of the process this time.  I was able to schedule the surgery as an outpatient procedure with the surgeon I saw yesterday at Illinois Bone and Joint Institute. 

Mike drove me to Glenbrook Hospital later this morning.  My check-in time was 10:45.  I was taken to my own room where a nurse took me through all the pre-op prep and paperwork.  I was impressed with the hospital and the staff who took care of me.  They wheeled me into surgery a little before 1 and I was leaving the recovery area back to my room around 3.  We left the hospital around 5 to head home.  All I remember of the surgery is being wheeled into the OR.  Then the next thing I knew I was in recovery.  My hip is a little sore, but I have no real pain to speak of (and I am not taking any pain meds). 

When I met with the physician yesterday, he had no opposition to doing this as an outpatient procedure when I asked about that option.  He said I was certainly one of the healthiest patients he has operated on and there was no reason why we couldn't -- just what I wanted to hear.  To not have to spend nights in the hospital and to be in my own home has made this such a better experience.

I will be on crutches for 6 weeks but can partially bear weight on my left leg (last year I was non-weightbearing for the 6 weeks).  The break wasn't as bad this time and will hopefully heal quickly.  And now that both hips are done, I don't have to worry about this type of stress fracture in the future (silver lining).

The doctor has also not ruled out my fall marathon (of course I asked about that).  He said we will see how I heal but it is not out of the question.  I know that it may or may not happen and it will certainly not be a PR attempt -- but having that hope to be able to do it has kept my spirits up throughout this process.

Now to let the healing begin...
My hospital room for the afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment