Monday, May 28, 2018

Along the Potomac in VA

Yesterday morning was my final run in Washington, DC (at least for this trip).  I started out heading into Georgetown with a plan to run along the C&O Canal Towpath.  This path extends for miles along the C&O Canal and is supposed to be a great spot for runners.  However, when I reached it I noticed a group of people standing around blocking the path.  It turned out to be the finish line for a half marathon and 5K that was going on that morning.  I had actually considered this race when we decided on DC.  But given how hot it was, I'm really glad we decided against doing it. 

I changed plans and instead headed across the Potomac into Virginia.
Rosslyn, VA from Georgetown
Once across the river, I followed signs for the Mount Vernon Trail.  I had no plans to make it all the way to Mount Vernon given the heat and humidity, but I thought it would make for a nice run.  The path took me along the Potomac with some good views of the monuments across the river. 
Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument
I made it out to where the trail split off for Arlington National Cemetery before I turned around and started back to the city. 
Peaceful morning along the river
It was a good trip for running with different routes and sites each morning.  The weather was hot and humid and I was soaked after each run, but in cooler weather there would be no shortage of running paths to explore.  If we visit again, I would love to explore the C&O Canal Towpath as well as Roosevelt Island, both of which are supposed to be great places to run.


1 comment: