Friday, January 11, 2019

Walt Disney World 5K

Yesterday I was up before 3:15 and on a bus to Epcot by 3:45 in the morning for the Walt Disney World 5K.  In past years, Pluto was always on the 5K medal.  This year, however, they changed it and made Oswald the star of this race.
Ready for the 5K!
I headed straight to my corral when I got there and was near the front.  The 5K races are all family-friendly, untimed events (although a time is recorded for Dopey participants), so I knew that I needed to be in the front to avoid walkers and slower runners.  There were only 3 corrals for this race.  Luckily I didn't have to weave past too many people once the race started.

The race began right at 5:30 and we were off!  I entered Epcot around the first mile marker and the rest of the race was mostly in the park.  There were several characters along the course, and I stopped 3 times for a picture.  I love being in the front of the pack because I can run right up to the character for a picture and speed off again without too much loss of time.
Lots of photographers in the park
Donald Duck...
...and Pinocchio
The race was over pretty quickly.  I got my medal and a few more pictures with the characters back in the staging area.  Of course I had to make sure I got my picture with Oswald since he was on the medal!
First race done!
Once I got back to the resort, I climbed back into bed for another hour of sleep.  I spent a couple hours later that day at Hollywood Studios and doing some shopping at Disney Springs before spending the remainder of the day just resting at the Wilderness Lodge.  These are several long days and I'll take all the rest I can get!
I always love posing for a picture with Chip and Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment