Saturday, January 12, 2019

Walt Disney World 10K

Yesterday was Day 2 of the Dopey Challenge - the Walt Disney World 10K.  My schedule was pretty much the same as the previous day - up way to early to get a bus to Epcot to stand around in my corral for a long time before running the race.
At the starting line for the 10K
The temperature was a little warmer than the previous morning, but I still chose to wear pants and a long sleeve since I didn't want to get cold before the race began.  I was comfortable for most of the race but was sweating by the end. 
The last stretch before the finish line

Crossing the finish line
The first half of the race was out and back on a road near Epcot.  We didn't enter Epcot until after mile 3.5.  From there we ran around the World Showcase before exiting out the back entrance to the park.  We ran around the Boardwalk and then over past the Yacht and Beach Club (a route I am VERY familiar with from the last several vacations) before entering Epcot again for the last mile of the race.  I again stopped for 3 pictures with characters on the course.  I ran a pretty fast race and was only 11 seconds off my 10K PR time so I was very pleased with the results.  My pace was consistent throughout.
The Old Hag was along the road before Epcot
Goofy was on the Boardwalk next to ESPN Zone
After I got my medal, I posed for pictures with the characters in the staging area.  Minnie is on the 10K medal so I had to make sure to get my picture with her (I also got a high five from her at the finish line).
Posing with Minnie Mouse
Once I got back to the resort, I climbed back into bed for some more sleep.  Later in the day I spent a little time at Hollywood Studios and then made the walk over to Epcot to look around and pick up dessert.  Then it was back to the Wilderness Lodge for more rest before heading to bed early.
I told Daisy she needs to be on a medal and she agreed with me!

1 comment: