Tuesday, November 6, 2018

London

We arrived in London yesterday morning exhausted from our overnight flight.  After resting most of the day and getting to bed early, I woke up this morning energized and ready to go for my run and see some of the city.  We are staying at a Marriott just across the river from Big Ben and Westminster Cathedral, so that is where my run started and ended.
Sadly you can't really see Big Ben right now
Just past Westminster there are several parks with numerous pedestrian and bike trails throughout -- St. James's Park, Green Park and then the very large Hyde Park.  I had a general sense of where I was in the city at all times, but I loved just exploring the different trails and running wherever I felt like.  It was a great run this morning -- not too hot or cold.  There were lots of runners, walkers and bikers out with me (and even a few riders on horseback).
Kensington Palace on the western side of Hyde Park

Buckingham Palace -- sadly I was too sweaty by this point to visit the Queen
I spent much of the afternoon walking around and exploring different parts of the city.  I have a much more positive response to London than I did when we visited four years ago.  As I was walking, I imagined what it must be like to run through some of the streets during the marathon.  There must be so much to see and take in.  Hopefully I'll get to experience it for myself in the next few years!

No comments:

Post a Comment