Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Schuylkill River Trail

I discovered the Schuylkill River Trail while visiting my parents and Piper in PA early last summer.  Since then, it has become a regular part of my runs during my visits.  I can pick it up about a mile from my parents' house, and it extends for miles and miles.  In summer 2017, I did many of my long runs on it training for Chicago.  This past March I did my final 20 mile long run on it before Boston.  It is a scenic, paved trail that runs for several miles along the Schuylkill River, through Valley Forge and on to Philadelphia. 

I had planned to run on it this summer, but that obviously never happened.  When I was visiting PA in August, I still wasn't cleared to start running again.  So when I arrived in PA yesterday, I was happy to get back to the trail.  I went one direction yesterday and ran the other (much hillier) direction today.  This morning was much cooler (and thankfully less humid) than yesterday -- and my time reflected that.  Despite the hilly conditions, this morning was my fastest pace since I started running again.  It feels good to know that my speed is starting to return.  I wasn't trying to go fast but just to maintain a comfortable pace and enjoy the crunching of the leaves on the ground and the sight of the trees starting to change color.
Fall morning on the Schuylkill River Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment