Thursday, October 25, 2018

Driving from Chicago to Dallas

On Tuesday morning, I went for a run (and lap swim) in Chicago and then embarked on a long, multi-day trip in the afternoon.  I had come up with the brilliant idea that I would drive Mike's car (alone) from Chicago to our new home in Dallas.  Armed with hours worth of podcasts on running, endurance training and sports nutrition, I drove for about 5 hours to the town of Fenton, Missouri. 

I woke up in Fenton Wednesday morning and was pleasantly surprised to discover a paved running trail not far from my hotel.  Since this was going to be my only exercise for the day before sitting in the car for several hours, I went out for a little bit of a longer run.  The fall air invigorated me as I took in the fall scenery and enjoyed the trail that ran along the Meramec Greenway.
Running the loop around Fenton City Park

Enjoying the water and fall leaves

Another view of the changing leaves along the Meramec Greenway
I left Fenton late Wednesday morning and drove 6 hours to the town of Muskogee, Oklahoma.  I am not a fan of Oklahoma and had no desire to spend any more time there than I needed to.  So I awoke very early this morning to drive the final 4 hours to our new home in Dallas.  I was so thrilled and relived when I finally pulled up to our new place.  I loved walking through it and unpacking what I had brought.  After everything was settled, I went out for what turned out to be an amazing run.  It was a cooler, cloudy day.  I'm not sure if I had pent up energy from all the driving or if the DD coffee I had a few hours earlier kicked in -- but I had my fastest run since well before my surgery.  It felt so great to have my speed back again.  I ran from our new place over to the Katy Trail, which is a 3.5 mile trail that runs from downtown Dallas north to Highland Park.  I picked up the trail around the middle of it and ran first to one end and then the other -- so 7 miles total plus the miles to and from our place.  All told it was just under 9 miles.  I think I have found my new running route!  The fact that I run past our new gym (Equinox -- which I LOVE and which deserves another post) doesn't hurt either.
American Airlines Center at the southern end of the Katy Trail
Mike arrived in Dallas later this afternoon.  We are here until Saturday afternoon which means I will have a few more chances to get out and run around here until we finally move here permanently in November....

No comments:

Post a Comment