Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Yoga for runners

Since my second hip surgery, I am trying to be even better about cross training and strength training than I was before.  I don't think I was bad to begin with, but I know there is always room for improvement.  I don't want to fall back into just running endless miles day after day (once I can actually start running again, of course).  For some time, I have intended to incorporate yoga into my routine -- especially yoga geared toward runners.  I'm not looking for anything crazy but I think there are definite benefits to increasing flexibility and getting a good stretch.  Years ago, I used to do yoga fairly regularly (I even taught some classes) and always loved how it made me feel.

I ordered a yoga for runners DVD offering 3 short (20 minute) yoga workouts.  Since I am in PA for a few days this week, I thought it would be a great time to try it out with Piper since she does yoga at her girls summer camp.  She didn't love the session but she was a trooper about following it through to the end.  I enjoyed it and think it will be a nice supplement for my running.
Two yogis getting a good stretch

3 comments:

  1. Which DVD's did you order? Would love to get Chris some to keep him balanced in his marathon running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered Gaiam's Yoga for Runners from Amazon. The routines aren't too strenuous so it's a nice balance.

      Delete