Monday, October 8, 2018

2018 Bank of America Chicago Marathon - We did it!

Yesterday I completed my seventh marathon (my third Chicago Marathon).  I am still in shock that it happened given everything I went through this summer.  Just 15 weeks post-op, I crossed the finish line with a time of 3:14:52.  I was a little off from last year's PR, but I wasn't going for a record yesterday.  It was, however, a good enough time to qualify me for the 2020 Boston Marathon by more than 5 minutes.  I'll take that!

The forecast all week leading up to the race had been ominous, calling for thunderstorms most of race morning.  Luckily, the thunderstorms never developed.  Temperatures were in the mid-50's at the start of the race with overcast skies.  It did rain on several occasions during the race, but nothing torrential.  I was so wet from sweat at those points that it didn't really matter.

Mike and I ran together for more than 15 miles of the race.  I wanted to run the whole thing together, but he started to have some pains which slowed him down.  He urged me to go on by myself and finally I did.  Ultimately, he finished less than 15 minutes after me.  I was so proud of him for completing his first marathon!

My parents and Mike's mother, sister and niece were all out of several spots on the course to cheer us on.  Seeing them gave me a boost each time.  Their final spot was in the last half mile of the race -- just as you make the final turn onto Roosevelt to go up a hill before heading to the finish line.  I felt great at that point and knew nothing could stop me!  I am grateful they all came and braved the weather to cheer us on.
So happy to be done!
After changing out of our wet clothes, we made it home for a much needed shower.  We all went out for a celebratory brunch and some drinks (wine!).  Moving around is probably one of the best things you can do to help with recovery.
Celebrating over drinks!
Later in the afternoon I went with my parents downtown to get some special dessert from the Cheesecake Factory.  I opted for the Reese's peanut butter cup cheesecake while Mike chose the caramel pecan turtle cheesecake -- delicious!  While downtown, I took this shot of the medal in front of the Water Tower, one of Chicago's landmarks.
Water Tower
We finished off our celebration with deep dish Chicago pizza for dinner -- a real treat.  It was such an emotional, exhausting day.  I was definitely ready to sleep last night!
What better way to celebrate than with Chicago pizza?
Now to plan what comes next....

1 comment:

  1. It was an incredible day, and I’m glad we got to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete