Friday, June 29, 2018

Starting PT and setting up my bike

Yesterday (only one week post op), I was able to start physical therapy.  My surgeon's brother was instrumental in developing a technique called BFR (blood flow restriction) therapy, which is something my PT uses.  The doctor gave me the all clear to start this and other PT exercises.  Last year, I didn't start PT until I was off the crutches 6 weeks after surgery, so this is a definitely a different experience.

The BFR machine is like a tourniquet that decreases a certain percentage of the blood flow to my leg.  By doing so, I can do exercises at very low weight and get the same strength benefits as if I were doing them at a much higher weight.  Our goal right now is to maintain the strength in my left leg so I will be that much farther ahead once I do get off crutches in 5 more weeks.  I went back for a second session this afternoon and will be going at least twice a week for the next several weeks.

The machine isn't fun.  After the first few sets, it gets very hard to do the exercises.  But I know that it will help me in the long run, so I push through and get it done.
The cuff around my leg restricts the blood flow as I do exercises
The doctor also gave me permission to ride a stationary bike with no resistance.  At this point I'm obviously not going to get much cardio benefit from doing so, but I will hopefully maintain the range of motion in my leg.  This was also something I was not allowed to do last time, so I'm happy to have this option.

Considering I have had a $1000 bike gathering dust in one of our spare bedrooms for the last 10 months, it was an easy decision to purchase an indoor bike trainer that would allow me to ride my own bike in the comfort of home.  I set it up this morning and tried it out.  I put on Netflix and had a nice ride.  The time went quickly and my leg felt good when I was done.  On days when the heat gets too extreme for walking outside, this is another great option for me.
Bike + Netflix = 1 happy rehabber

3 comments:

  1. Bike+Netflix+a kitty in the chalet+a kitty posing for the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was on Netflix!? Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm working my way through the Flash! I thought it would be good motivation to get back out there :)

    ReplyDelete