Friday, May 25, 2018

Running on the National Mall

We flew to Washington, DC late yesterday afternoon to enjoy the long holiday weekend.  This morning we were up early and ready for our run.  We are staying at the gorgeous Ritz Carlton in the Foggy Bottom area of the city, so I planned for my first run in the city to be around the National Mall.

I got stopped at traffic lights several times this morning which made for a little slower run, but it was a sunny, warm morning and I got to see several of the city's big landmarks.  Not a bad way to start my day at all!  I entered the Mall on the western end near the Lincoln Memorial and proceeded to head east toward the Washington Monument. 
Starting at the Lincoln Memorial
Nice view from the Lincoln Memorial

The Washington Monument is currently closed for repairs but it is impressive nonetheless.  After running around it, I continued on toward the Capitol building.
Running around the Washington Monument
This was as close as I got to the Capitol before I turned around and started heading back.  I didn't feel like dealing with more traffic lights to get closer and I was worried it would be more crowded with tourists. 
Capitol Building
We'll see where I run tomorrow.  I will probably head back to this area but I'd like to include the Jefferson Memorial in my loop and maybe explore a little more along the river.  Hoping for continued beautiful weather!

1 comment:

  1. What a great place to run on Memorial Day weekend!🇺🇸

    ReplyDelete