Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Train hard, recover harder

With two big endurance events coming up just two weeks apart, I am definitely focusing more on recovery this month.  After spending a couple hours each day swimming, biking and/or running, I definitely need it in this final ramp up to "Racetober's" events. 

I previously posted about trying out cryotherapy again last week.  After that session, I signed up for a month of daily sessions and have been going every day after my workouts.  It is a chilly 3 minutes and I am always happy when it ends.
It gets chilly in there!
In addition to that, I have had a few kinetic recovery massage sessions at another recovery center about 15 minutes away.  It is very different than regular massages I have had in the past.  It is a specialized form of massage, stretching and muscle work performed with an emphasis on active recovery versus passive bodywork.  You stay fully clothed in comfortable clothing.  The therapist does a lot of stretching and twisting and maneuvering me around.  I definitely feel it in places I normally wouldn't be able to hit.  If it helps increase my flexibility and keep my body more balanced, then I am all for it this month.
Not your typical massage
The Normatec compression boots have been a daily part of my recovery for the last year and a half.  Mike and I each use them for 45 minutes a day to keep our legs feeling fresh.  I can tell the difference when I've gone a few days without them.  I'm still undecided if they'll be making the trip with us to Chicago this weekend...
A great investment in our recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment