Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Cryotherapy

With two big races coming up this month, doing everything I can to optimize recovery just seems like a smart thing to do.  Mike decided that he wants to do cryotherapy for the days leading up to the marathon.  We had previously tried a few session of it in Chicago, but it's another one of the things that I think probably gives more benefit from repeated experiences (much like our Normatec boots which we use daily).  I tagged along to his session today, not fully intending to do a session but to see the place he was going.  You wear gloves and socks and slippers while you stand in the machine.  Your body is exposed to extremely cold temperatures for several minutes.  Mike had a positive experience during his session and felt like it was much colder than when we did it in Chicago.  So of course I had to give it a try...
There were 3 options for how cold you wanted it to get and I chose the coldest.  The session is only 3 minutes but after the first minute you start to really feel the cold.  It's a strange sensation - almost like ice crystals are forming on your skin.  The last minute was the longest -- I was ready to get out when the time was up!  It definitely cooled me off from the Texas heat, and it certainly can't hurt me as I get ready for the races to come.

1 comment: